From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Ziggurat--several readings, including my own
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:09:40

>So the "Cry Sexist" crowd, including but not limited to Dozois (tip of the
>hat to Alex David Groce for reminding us of that factoid), and Ken
>Houghton, and others: it seems they see it as "mouthpiece" and "happy for
>the John Normanoids, including Gene Wolfe, but tragic for the more
>enlightened."

Thanks, but oops--I may have slandered Dozois if that's how it came across--
unless he's spoken in another forum, I'm referring to his comments in the
intro. to whatever Year's Best SF "The Ziggurat" _should_ have appeared in.  :)
Dozois just says (in a nutshell) "_Great_ story, as far as the prose goes--
controversial, a lot of people think Wolfe is a sexist asshole for writing
this--I'm not so sure--I didn't like the protagonist, and I don't know if
Wolfe wanted me too.  That Wolfe, he's a tricky one."  Which is all in
agreement with me, except I'm _fairly_ sure Wolfe wasn't setting Emory up
as a straw man--nor as a paragon, of course.  In fact, my guess is Dozois
didn't stick in in Year's Best that year (given it's the ONLY short story he
mentions by name and at any length in the Introduction) because of length
issues (I could name some candidates for him to have dropped, but...)

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+@cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department