From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Ziggurat as Delusion or SF
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:09:58

At 11:56 PM 2/6/00 -0500, you wrote:

>I have to say, however, that if Wolfe really intended the "Maximum
>Delusion" reading of the story to be an "equally valid" one, then I wish he
>hadn't written it in the first place.
>
>William Ansley

	I really don't think we have to credit it. The motivation for this reading
in the first place was to "deliver" Wolfe from the "scandal" of writing a
story that is "negative" about women. A better reading shows this is not a
real problem. The Max Del reading just does not work with the facts of the
story as they are presented. Parallels between the three women and the
three women, of course, are present.
	I think Gevers has done a good job, in general, of pointing to ambiguities
in the story. I just don't think this particular approach is valid.

Nutria