From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n195
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 13:14:37

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Alice Turner wrote:
> > I think the key to Alice and Sophie's behavior is that to them the Tale
> > is their religion.  It's what gives meaning to their lives, and it's
> > more important to Alice even than Smoky's love.  That's why she's so
> > upset when she thinks that Sophie is bearing Smoky's child, because it
> > somehow means that she doesn't have the role in the Tale she thought she
> > did, and why she is so relieved when she learns that Sophie's child
> > isn't Smoky's, even though they've slept together.
>
> Yes, I hadn't thought about this, but it's true. She doesn't mind the
> sexual act, but the fact of the child upsets her. Of course, Lilac
> really has to have fairy genes on both sides to be as weird as she is,
> so Smoky wouldn't do at all.

But what about that poignant moment when they're writting messages to
throw in the fireplace (I think it was to ask St. Nick for Christmas
presents?) and Alice writes "Please bring back my husband and Sophie from
wherever they've been."   That made it sound like Alice was feeling hurt
and abandoned by Smoky's adultery, but then she just kind of turns around
and acts like it's no big deal.

-Rostrum