From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@sirius.com>
Subject: (urth) LB, fairyphone, fairy history
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:39:30

Adam,

You wrote:
>  Nor would I call the Drinkwater-occupied outermost fairy world a
>"colony" of the fairies; at any rate, the fairies will have no contact
>with it once they themselves go further "in."

I don't think this is the first time you've asserted this, but now I have
to ask: From where arises your certainty that the old fairies (now
presumably on the third level) will not have any contact in the future with
Alice & Co. (now on the second level)?  (Not that the fairy communication
with the first level Drinkwaters was all that crystal clear, of course.)

This seems to suggest that you think they (fairies) were in contact with
the Drinkwaters from the moment of their (the fairies) genesis in fairyland
(and you do seem to think the fairies to be autochthonous to the next
world, iirc).  If this is truly your opinion, then please share what must
be a fascinating timeline!

Also, as to the "why" of the fairy migration: one or some around here have
mentioned that the fairies "want to get away from the humans" as the reason
for their migration to level three.  Do you subscribe to this notion?
Because it seems to me that if the levels are as hermetically (heh) sealed
as they seem to be, then human egress to level two is virtually impossible
(no dangers of a human freeway to fairy, whereas fairies visit level one at
will); and since the fairies already have all of level two to themselves,
they are already "away" from humans.

Did the fairies somehow discover an empty new world at level three (somehow
breaking through the barriers on their own because they are more advanced
in the technology) and decide to migrate there, for whatever unfathomable
reasons, is that your sense of it?