From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Wolfe and Crowley, ancient and Renaissance
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:06:30

Nutria wrote:

> At 08:54 AM 5/9/00 -0700, [Adam] wrote:
> >both Smoky and (or so it seems to me)
> >Ariel Hawksquill have minds molded by the classics, though Ariel is of
> >course aware of the Renaissance tradition; and both are made to
> >unwillingly recognize the truth of the Renaissance magic worldview.
>
>         Wondering a bit what you meant by that last phrase.

I guess I didn't mean anything very precise; I was conflating "the
Renaissance magic worldview" with belief in the existence and importance
of the fairies.  Ariel may or may not be aware of the fairies' existence
at the start, but until almost the end, she regards them and their
"small worlds" as a sideshow compared to Eigenblick's activities.  I
still think it's significant that both Smoky and Ariel are classically
trained, but I'd probably have to reread the whole book to figure out
how.

>         Also, if the fairies are grandchildren of Kronos, then Smoky's classical
> education, and his love of the stars, would seem again to be pointing in
> the opposite direction from the fate of the Drinkwaters & Co.

Now I'm not sure what you mean.  If the fairies are grandchildren of
Kronos, then they are probably children of the gods.

--Adam