From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: (urth) Brother North-wind's Secret REVEALED!
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:44:14

I wrote:

>How about this one: What's the difference between G. Wolfe and J.
>Crowley? Well, Wolfe would would never come right out and tell you
>what Brother North-wind's Secret is, but Crowley does, after pausing
>for a few pages to keep you in suspense.

Now that I have paused a couple days to keep you all in suspense,
here is more detail. Book Two of LB is called "Brother North-wind's
Secret". Chapter II of this Book starts off with several school
children taking turns reading a children's story of the same name. In
the story, a Meadow Mouse, who has never seen Winter is questioning
animals to find out how to prepare for it. A Crow tells him that one
thing he needs to know is Brother North-wind's secret, which is the
answer to the question, "What is the one good thing about Winter?"
But the crow won't tell and neither will Brother North-Wind.

Before the last child can finish the story, just before the secret is
revealed, the teacher (Smoky Barnable) interrupts him. So far, so
Lupine. But, only a little over 3 pages later, Smoky recalls the
answer (he read the story before): "If Winter comes, Spring can't be
far behind."

My expectation, if this was a Wolfe story, is that the answer would
be revealed less directly or at a greater remove from the question or
not given at all.This isn't to say that Crowley doesn't have his
secrets, there are plenty of ambiguities and mysterious goings-on in
LB.

William Ansley