From: Jim Russell <J.A.Russell@exeter.ac.uk>
Subject: (urth) Dredging up the past
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:31:57 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Ok, Im not sure if this has been dealt with or not, but
referring back to the Jonas, Hethor, Tzadkiel stuff...

At several points in UotNS characters note that there is
only one ship travelling between the stars, but because it
ignores standard temporaral physics it seems like many. So
the ship has a linear, internal history which does not obey
the laws of normal time (just like Sev). Bearing in mind
the high possibility that Jonas had served on this ship (at
some point in history), can we assume that the crashlanding
he talks about is the end of Tzadkiel's ship?

When he then steps into Father Inire's mirrors, claiming
that he will return when he is "Sane and whole" isn't he
talking about returning to his own past aboard the ship
(The asumption being that he will emerge between the sails
which pick up the apports that plague the ship).

Obviously this poses some (whopping) problems with regards
to the Jonas/Miles situation, but I'd appreciate hearing
anyone else's thoughts on this.

Feel free to shout me down at will.
Jim Russell
University of Exeter