From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) re Evan S Barnable
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:05:53

>I've just been re-reading Little Big (prompted by the discussion on this
>group) and by some wierd coincidence, just reached the page in Letters
>to Santa where Smoky reveals his real name.
>   Some-one asked what the S stands for. Does no-one get the joke?
>
>   Evan S. = evanesce = disappearing from sight, fading, or maybe
>ghost-like or even Smoky
>
>           Allan

Kudos, Allen!

I re-read _Little, Big_ recently and quite carefully too, I might
add, but I missed this completely. An excellent catch.

And it nicely explains why Crowley reveals Smoky's real first name
(however briefly) while keeping mum about what his middle initial
stands for. I was wondering about that! Thank you.

William Ansley