From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <ddanehy@siebel.com>
Subject: (urth) What's so funny about PEACE, love, and understanding?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:01:40

The Subject: line refers to the fact that I love PEACE, think it is in
places a
very funny book, and would very much like to understand it. 8*)

Mantis, Doug Eigsti and I have been involved in an off-line trialogue over
PEACE
which seems to have achieved a sort of critical (no pun intended) mass.

The rest of this contains -- obligatory warning -- Spoilers For PEACE. In
particular, it involves a struggle toward understanding the frame-tale of
PEACE.

I take as a given (though I guess Doug doesn't) that, yes, dammit, Weer is
dead, and was "awakened" by the blowing-over of the elm tree planted by
Eleanor Bold on his grave. In at least on interview available on line (the
one with James Jordan, at http://world.std.com/~pduggan/wolfejbj.html),
Wolfe
makes it clear that this is his intent. Further, he's going over his life,
in some way, in some form, attempting to make sense of it -- seeking peace.
He apparently did not think of "Purgatory" as the model for this (but
accepts it as a reasonable interpretation).

Okay, then. How to view this frame story?

Simply:  It isn't just the frame; it's the real story. PEACE is _not_ the
story of Weer's life. It is the story of Weer telling (or retelling or
rehashing) the story of Weer's life.

When? Well, one reference I found, www.elmcare.com informs us that "Fully
mature elm trees can live as long as 300 years." So we can take the late
twenty-first century as a very conservative date. Weer isn't exaggerating
when he says "everyone" is dead -- this may or may not refer to some "fall
of America," but it's certainly true at the surface level. Everyone Weer
knew, everyone he perceives in the imaginary(?) Doctor Van Ness's office,
is dead.

Also, "The American Elm grows to over 115 feet tall and can have a
diameter in excess of ten feet." This gives some feeling for the
opening sequence, I think.

So.

To understand PEACE we have to understand _why_ Weer is telling his
story; to understand that, we need to understand when, and to whom,
he believes he is writing.

Weer is clearly a classic Lupine unreliable narrator. I'm not sure I'm
ready to go so far as to say he lies; but his elisions, evasions,
circumlocutions, and omissions may amount to lies. We, of course, can
base our understandings only on his words; thus we don't have the
advantage classic irony offers of "what we readers know that the
narrator doesn't."

I'll make a further assertion: I posit that Wolfe had a definite order
of events, and a definite time of narration, in mind when he sat down
to write PEACE.

This does not mean that we can definitely know them -- he _may_ have
deliberately effaced evidence, planted false clues, etc., to create
a narrative which allows multiple, contradictory readings. But I don't
think so; my sense is that Wolfe plays fair. Not everything has an
answer, but everything set as a challenge does: and the nature of
PEACE is clearly a challenge.

Okay, about that elm tree. If it's Weer's grave tree, then why doesn't
he say so? Does he not know? Is he not _permitted_ to know? or is he
in deep denial about being dead?

The book is oddly full of evasions about death. Weer almost never
mentions the deaths of anyone in the book -- the only deaths I recall
being stated openly are Bobby Black's and Sherry Gold's: and both of
these are characters for whose deaths he feels or may feel responsible/
guilty; and both of them are characters for whose death he rather
elaborately evades taking any responsibility. (Weer doesn't say he
pushed Bobby down the stairs, but that Bobby "fell;" and he goes out
of his way to make Sherry the instigator of everything between them,
and of her death, he says only that she killed herself.)

As for the last page -- there is the odd detail about the appointment
note nailed to the desk (see the beginning of part 5 to see why this
is odd); but the real point is the voice of Aunt Olivia, coming over
the intercom -- "Den, darling, are you awake in there?" As it
interrupted the never-to-be-completed story of Princess Elaia and
her suitors (and see Mantis' recent posting about that), so too it
interrupts our story of Den Weer, and if it ever "comes out," we
shan't know about it.

One thing the line signifies clearly: it is time to stop reading.

But why is her voice coming over the intercom? And is it to wake
him or to send him (back) to sleep? Or is it just a last bit of
random memory as his mind finally disintegrates?

*****

Some onomastics: