From: Peter Westlake <peter@harlequin.co.uk>
Subject: Re: (urth) VRT Take III
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:09:58 +0000

At 20:36 2000-11-12 -0800, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>M. Borski a ecrit:
>> Also: do not forget that the detail about 'John' being the name of
>> every abo boy is provided by VRT himself, writing as John Marsch.
>
>!!! Very good point.
>

>> It may not be true, or more likely may be yet another attempt,
>> either consciously or subconsciously, at linking his identity with
>> the Earthborn anthropologist.
>
>I guess the question then is: Should we consider "A Story" as having
>_any_ truth-value whatsoever? If so, why?

Compare M. Million's lesson in which he asks No. 5 and David about
the supposed abo artifacts. David argues that the artifacts were not
important in the lives of the abos compared to their religion and
culture, and appears to make up some examples - but those examples
agree in every detail with the descriptions in "A Story"! The trees
are there, and the flails made of sea-shells, and everything. This
is astonishing whether "A Story" is true or not - if not, how did
Marsch pick up those ex tempore bits of colour from David's lesson,
and if so, how could David possibly have known them?

Spectacled Bear.

(I'll read _Peace_ soon, honest...)