From: "Jeremy W. Crampton" <seltzoid@veriomail.com>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v030.n040
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:30:07

Actually (though I get your joke) the derivation of "Amazon" from a-maza or
without the (right) breast, although popularly accepted by some Ancient
Greeks (eg., see Strabo 11.5.1) is not attested. Herodotus mentions them in
the same passage Wolfe used to name his Scythian character Oior ("Man"); see
Hdt. 4.110.

Jeremy

> From: "Talarican" <exultnttalarican@mindspring.com>
> Subject:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?If_You're_Going_to_Ste._Anne=2C_Be_Sure_to_Pack_a_Sweater?=
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:51:28 -0500

> I am still awaiting delivery of my used copies of 5HC (1 Scribner's, 1
Ace)
> from that emporium called, in one of your dead languages,  "Lacking
Breast".