From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) sins in free live free
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:39:47

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, maa32 wrote:

> As far as I remember from a Wolfe interview, I thought he identified Madame
> Serpentina as pride (she is a haughty wench) and Stubb as Envy.  I think Wolfe
> waffled a little on identifying Stubb (little man complex seems like envy
> mixed with pride to me).

I think the key has to be each one's temptation scene.  Stubb's seems to
be appealing to his desire to be thought smart and essential for an
important case (and appealing to the young woman), thus Pride (Envy
involves resenting someone else who has what you don't).  We don't see
Serpentina's but it seems to have been about giving her a shot at real
supernatural power which seems to fit best under Avarice (maybe "lust for
power"?  Or do the Seven Deadlies put that under Avarice and reserve Lust
for sexual sins?  Do all sins fit under one of the Seven?).

-Rostrum