From: "Roy C. Lackey" <rclackey@stic.net>
Subject: (urth) Re: One more New Sun IAQ
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:05:32

>From: "Talarican" <exultnttalarican@mindspring.com>
>Subject: One more New Sun IAQ
>Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:18:42 -0400

>Into the relative quiet reigning on the Urth list at present, I interject
>what I anticipate will be the final installment of BNS IAQ's. Hopefully
>these will turn out to be one of the better production runs. Enjoy.
> - The Mad Exultant

    Well, Mitc...er...Talarican, are you compiling these IAQ's somewhere?
How can it be the "final installment"? Because your list is hardly
exhaustive. I could add some more, as doubtless could others here.

[snip]
>For that matter, the purpose of the Wall is somewhat problematical, in
spite
>of Jonas' hints[snip]

    I agree wrt your objections about the practicality of the Wall. Indeed,
the only good purpose for it that I can see was to prevent the very
inundation that it apparently didn't, but should have.

>(Urth XXXII ) As Severian boards the _Alcyone_, he thinks he recognizes a
>"sun-browned" deckhand, but cannot recall who he resembled. Who WAS that
>tanned man?

    No doubt someone will suggest it was himself, and possibly it was. Along
this line, here is one of my own IAQs, from two chapters later. Who was the
"greasy, close-faced woman they said was the ship's cook" who was present at
the table in the inn in Saltus for Sev's "last supper" prior to his arrest?
She showed up again three chapters after that, among the group who visited
him in his cell to hear his sermon on the dying of the Old Sun and the
coming of the New Sun, Sev's account drawn largely from his knowledge of
Talos's play. Sev's tale was overheard by Canog, who took notes for the book
he would write, which became the basis for Talos's play, which became the
basis for Sev's tale, which ...but I digress, and anyway, I've brought up
the dubious authorship of this uncreated story before, to no avail.

Roy