From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) RE: Digest urth.v030.n114
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:26:17

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> > Do we get a replay of the Eden story, the same way we got a
> > Second Flood in the Urth Cycle? Does that make sense, from a
> > Christian point of view?
>
> I think a good analogy here is to the Narnia books -- it isn't
> a "replay," but, if God made multiple worlds, how things might
> play themselves out, differently but according to the old
> patterns, in those worlds. Like those, I don't think Wolfe
> writes to be taken allegorically, but perhaps symbolically.

Better yet, Lewis's Perelandra, in which a human from Earth becomes the
agent of evil attempting to orchestrate a second fall on the Edenic Venus.

I like the idea that, disasterous as Lilith is running amok in our world,
the NP, a fallen human, would be a worse threat to unfallen Eden.  (But it
only works if Lilith is not talking about Cain and Abel after all.)

-Rostrum