From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: The NECRONOMICON
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:20:01

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> I don't know about the rest, but of the NECRONOMICON, Gold claims to have
> "just wrote it" (215),  and that it was "never mentioned in print anywhere
> until the providential gentleman I spoke of a few moments ago made the
> entire thing up. Now it has achieved reality . . ." (216) So I'm confused.
> If HPL made it up, and Gold wrote it, did (does) it exist or not? If not,
> who gets credit for it in the Invisible Library?

In the Peace universe, NECRONOMICON is a fictional book made up by HPL
which Gold then "wrote," inspired by HPL's idea, in order to dupe someone
into thinking that the book really exists.

So there are two imaginary titles: NECRONOMICON, a book of horrors
imagined by HPL and Louis Gold's NECRONOMICON, a fake book of horrors
imagined by Gene Wolfe.

-Rostrum