From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Alien Stones, spoilers
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:47:28

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:

> There is also a strange romance of the captain and Helen, a tale of
> passion, obsession, and possible treachery.  This story is jelled by the
> passages from the Bible (although the passages may also apply to the other
> "stories" within the story as well).  The implication seems to be that the
> captain knowingly sent the empath to his death so that he could marry the
> widow, the coveted woman.

Another point of the Bible story:

When the zombie empath shows up, the woman asks the aliens something like
"Is that my husband?"  And they say something like "The question is
difficult.  What is meant by 'is'?"

The passage from the Bible is where the Saducees, who do not believe in
the resurrection, ask Jesus about a woman who has been widowed several
times and remarries each time.  In the resurrection, whose wife is she?

Thus: Is the empath still her husband if he's dead?

-Rostrum