FIND in
<--prev V202 next-->
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:57:38 -0800
From: Michael Andre-Driussi 
Subject: (urth) fuligin, fulgurator

Steve wrote:
>I was looking up the word 'fuligin' in the dictionary the other day.  I was
>interested to see that sitting right in front of the 'fuligin'-like words
>(namely, 'fuliginated', meaning 'of a sooty color or appearance'; 'fuligo',
>meaning 'soot'; and 'fuliginous', meaning 'blackened with soot'), there were
>were several similar sounding words derived from a root with a quite
>different meaning.  These were 'fulgurate' ('emit flashes like lightening');
>'fulguration' ('the action of lightening'; 'in assaying, a brightening in
>the appearance of a molten metal'); 'fulgurous' ('resembling, full of or
>charged with lightening').

FWIW, and it may add to your argument, Wolfe does use the word "fulgurator"
in chapter 7 of SHADOW.



<--prev V202 next-->