From: James Stewart <james.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) the mystery of Q
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:23:46

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 12:25 AM 1/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

>[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]
>
>To James Stewart:  The line in question is actually "At that moment I burst
>into the room."  It occurs on page 282 (the last page of chapter 13) of
>"Exodus from the Long Sun."  Until that moment, the entire story has seemed
>to have a third-person omniscient narrator.  But with this sudden intrusion
>of an "I," the focus of the narration is jarred.  One realizes a couple lines
>later that the "I" is the boy Horn, and one then sees everything from a new
>perspective.   Some readers, I wager, will consider this sudden narrative
>shift too gimmicky.  As for me, I've always loved surprises.

Well, I feel a lot less stupid now. I haven't even seen that book yet.

So, does one need to reread the first three to get into the fourth?

By the way, who was Severin's mother--oops, wrong series!

James A. Stewart

james.stewart@worldnet.att.net
or
jstewart@cougar.colstate.cc.oh.us