From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
Subject: (whorl) Vampires, Artistic license
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:40:09

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

> [Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]
>
> > From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
> > 	Yes you remember correctly. The passage mentioning Teasel's
> > affliction is in NIGHTSIDE pages 219 & 233. Silk observes that she
> looks
> > pale and has two puncture marks on her neck, which he misinterprets as
> Owl
> > bites.
Dave,

	More on Teasel: LAKE page 62.5 Silk mentions about her bite by
some sort of bat, according to Dr.Crane, "but she herself said it was an
old man with wings". Shades of Bella Lugosi.

> I started rereading "Exodus.." last night, and started with the Dramatis
> Personae.  Sure enough, Teasel's entry says she was attacked by an
> inhumi.  In fact, she's not the only one listed as such there.  I'll
> leave the other as an exercise.  This (for me at least) puts a slightly
> altered spin on Quetzal.
>
> On the subject of taluses, there is also a remark early in "Exodus,"
> when Silk first suggests a visit to the factory (to repair Marble's
> hand), that confirms that taluses are a lower order of being, not truly
> as sophisticated as a true chem.
>
> As I reread, I'm also noticing places where Horn's state of mind or
> opinions are expressed in "omniscient narrator" form, and this is before
> the "I" moment.  This is rare (possibly even non-existent) for the other
> characters, unless the narration is from their POV.
>
>      Dave Lebling
>      (david_lebling@avid.com)

	Consider this; if Horn is the author of THE BOOK OF SILK how much
of what we are reading is fiction, to Horn. Horn was not present for many
of the events in the story. Did he get his information from Silk
directly, or did he embellish the story to gain reader acceptance? Like
many a biography today much of the text may be pure speculation by Horn
trying to reconstruct the events. Shakespeare can be used as an example of
this artistic license taken by the biographer.

=Doug Eigsti=

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V1 next-->