From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
Subject: Re: (whorl) A question
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:51:57

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

James writes:

> All of this talk of Exodus now is making me desperate to read it, but
> before I do I need to know something. Do I need to invest the time in
> rereading the first books before this one will make any sense?

	Our local reading group, The Fictionados, decided it would be
wise to reread the first three books before trying to tackle EXODUS. The
two year gap being the main reason. Wolfe is brutal to readers who forget
critical details. I am now in LAKE and am finding the experience much
richer and more satisfying. I was still trying to learn the rules of the
Whorl on the first pass. Now I can dig deeper and delve into some of the
fun mysteries Wolfe has buried. Some of the comments on this archive are
driving me to read EXODUS but I know that a careful reading of the
precursors will pay off when I get there. I am reading all the "spoilers"
posted. Wolfe has never been about what happens next. Getting there is
the fun.

=Doug Eigsti=
douge@nti.com

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com