From: "Kieran Cleary" <kcleary@nwlabs.ie>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Archive, Q, Kieran Cleary="Lasrach"
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:38:42 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Alga,

I have been reading the archive volumes, and didn't spot any
reply to Xury's Urth=Green posting, so I threw in my tuppence
worth's. However, I seem to be sending rash postings about topics
which have already been discussed. Forgive!

For what it's worth, on the "How does Q know?" issue, I've been
rereading Castle of Days, where I remember Wolfe pointing out the
distinction between Typhon and Typhaen (?), the latter being the son
of "Gaea and Tartarus", described as a serpent with wings.

vizcacha-

Perhaps I'm opening old wounds here again, but from what I remember
about Pike's invasion of the devils theory, he claimed that they were
resident in Mainframe, and that the Gods deleted them wherever they
were found. These sound more like rogue personalities within the
machine than the Inhumi.
---------------
"Kieran" may not be a Vironese name, but it would do for a Flier's.
Though with a literal translation of "little dark one", sounds like
I'd be a pal of fey-sounding Sumaire's! (which I think actually means
something like "eddy" rather than "sinkhole" in the Flier context. To
avoid confusion though, I'll go for another possible Flier name of
"Lasrach" on this list.

On Wolfe's opacity of writing, sometimes when trying to pursue his
intent I'm assailed by doubts on the existance of any meaning at high
levels of granularity. His plots are to this discussion as Apheta's
speech is to Severian's. Though that's more a comment on his
achievement, than anything else. I don't think I've read another
author better able to convey the relativity of truth than Wolfe.

Lasrach

Kieran Cleary
Senior Research Engineer
North West Labs