From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Wolfe Article & Wolfe encounters
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:10:58

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 08:03 PM 2/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

 Chesterton's Father
>Brown stories ( never read 'em) and Kipling's work (ditto, except for a few
>poems) as influences on the Long Sun novels.  No one has brought it up here
>(I think) so I'd be curious what you English Majors think:) In an online
>interview--Wolfe mentioned the Chesterton/Father brown reference might be on
>target.

	Oh, there can be no doubt but that "Nightside" is "Father Brown in Space"!
And, Silk as a whole is rather Brownish. Once you've read Father Brown,
you'll know.
	And see my interview with Gene on Duggan's site. Chesterton is a MAJOR
influence. Predictably, of course.

>I had met him earlier and had mentioned Hating THERE ARE DOORS.

	Briefly, why? I'll admit I did not understand why the Catholic Church
(Italian Restaurant) would want to hook up the main character with an idol
goddess, but Gene's explanation to me is that the Catholic Church does
incorporate pre-Christian religions, though in a purified and transformed
way. On the whole, however, I found it a delightful and thought-provoking
book. So, what did you not like about it? Instruct us.

	I hope this is not "off topic." I think understanding "Long Sun" will
involved understanding Wolfe as a whole, especially his religious views.

JBJordan

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V3 next-->