From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
Subject: (whorl) There are Doors
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:11:05

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

*******       *******      SPOILER ALERT         *******      **********

******* Information concerning THERE ARE DOORS follows **********

	I, too, am a fan of THERE ARE DOORS. I liked the way Wolfe used
the doors as literal passageways into alternate realities. Whenever a
character went through a door I found myself anticipating the clues that
would tell me if he had made a reality jump or if it were just a mundane
transit. The mystery of the situation, putting the character through a
labyrinth of shifting realities without a flash of light or earth shaking
indicators to tell the reader that a shift had been made, was expertly
handled. It put a surreal slant on everyday events, reminding me of Philip
K. Dick. The reader is forced to question the 'reality' of each situation.
It is representative of Wolfe's usual techniques for disorienting the
reader to the same degree as the protagonist. It is on my list of books to
read again, along with PEACE. Outside of the NEW SUN and LONG SUN series
it is a book I would use to introduce a friend to Wolfe.

=Talon=

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V3 next-->