From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (whorl) body double
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 97 19:38:00 GMT

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #1785979 from WHORL@LISTS.BEST.COM@INET00#

Keith,

Well, you =can= have Keef, but by the definition you gave it is a
girl's name--and Vironese guys-with-girl-names (like Titi, whom you
mentioned, has both bot. and zoo. meanings) seem to have a tough time
(this ties in with my "Jean: The Woman Inside Gene Wolfe" theory).
But fwiw, OED links "keef" to the botanical definition you mentioned
and to "kidang," the Malay name for the barking deer.

Re: body in the tunnel.  Yes, we are led to believe that the body
might be/must be Titi, because of the similarities in location of
death and gender disguise.  However, it seems that Titi/Petal was
killed some time ago, perhaps as early as last spring, and was
subsequently buried in Spider's graveyard tunnel.

So the body in the tunnel cannot be Titi.