From: Derek Bell <dbell@maths.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v001.n060
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:02:47 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

In message <199703152101.NAA12180@lists1.best.com>, Alice Turner writes:
>[on Nessus==Buenos Aires]
>Do you have this from the Wolfe's mouth?  If you don't, I'll beg to differ
>with you. In my opinion,  Nessus is, in a general way, Alexandria. Will
>back this up if you don't    have the tap from the source---otherwise, of
>course, will concede.

	I agree - there's a resemblance between both Nessus and
Alexandria. Nessus has a large library and is the principal city of the
Commonwealth. I'm not convinced about the "Nos Aires" link, but that
may be more convincing in some accent other than mine. I agree that
Master Ultan is a Borges figure and Wolfe said once that if Borges
didn't exist, any author who created him would deserve a Nobel Prize
for literature. (FWIW, I like Borges' writings, too.)

	Tercel

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V4 next-->