From: "Kieran Cleary" <kcleary@tinet.ie>
Subject: (whorl) Best Before 250 & Mamelta's memories
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:20:46 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Just a couple of quick questions:
 I was reminded by J's mention of "30th Nemesis
332" of the list of numbers of Pas's seal above the "SEALED FOR THE
MONARCH" lettering. Does anyone have any plausible idea
what they mean? I had initially thought they might represent a
sealing date and an opening date...a sort of "best before" warning,
but couldn't come up with a convincing explanation to match the
numbers without degenerating into dodgy numerology. (Sorry I can't
reproduce them here, but I don't have a copy of tBotLS III handy).

Also, has anyone explained why the sleepers (according to Mamelta)
had their memories wiped, yet Mamelta remembers, albeit fuzzily, some
incidents from her childhood while with Silk, and also being told
that she and the other sleepers-to-be were being taken to some sort
of land-of-plenty. It seems a bit of a red
herring to me: I don't accept Mamelta's explanation for the Whorl
religion and deification of the royal family. She seemed to think that
the memory wipe couldn't completely eradicate all memories of the strong
personalities of the Typhon clan, so an artificial religion was
created to give erroneous substance to these vague recollections.
This seems an unlikely and drastic solution and it's not clear what
it accomplishes. Any comments gratefully received.

FWIW, I'd also like to see a separate mailing list for other Wolfe
works, that is, unless a stronger plot link between tBotLS & tBotNS
becomes apparent <grin>.

Lasrach
Kieran Cleary
Senior Research Engineer