From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
Subject: Re: (whorl) Tick Talk
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 02:52:05

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

vizcacha,

	I will have to cast a dissenting vote for Tick's femininity.
Three reasons:

1) Auk calls him "cully", p. 309.4, a term reserved for males in cant.

2) The name "Tick" fits the convention of animal names for males in Viron.

3) Horn uses the pronoun "he", "Tick (who landed on his feet)", p.
309.8, when referring to Tick.

	Do you have support for Tick being a female?

Re: Tick Talk
	I found your compendium of Tick's speech translations useful and
entertaining. Thanks for tracking them down. Knowing that Tick is an
oracle for Sphigx puts all his utterances in a new light.
	What about Oreb. For whom does he speak? He seems to have
insights into personalities that are revealing. He is also a natural
enemy of Tick. Does this put him in the camp of Kypris and Pas?

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V4 next-->