From: Patri10629@aol.com
Subject: Re: (whorl) Ask re: Oreb
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 09:52:37

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Dear Mantis,

Thanks for the tips on Oreb. Hebrew for raven, biblical references--I had no
idea.

<<In any case, if you'd like to further refine the question,
you've got a few days to do it in.)"

Geeze, I was hoping to save myself embarrassment by offering a terse and
obscure question--one freighted with import as a haiku. I expect Gene to
answer: "He's a Bird. Next." I just sense that there's much more to Oreb than
meets the eye--so to speak. Not sure how I can justify it. I'll think on it
and get back to you.

I'm delighted that Gene will submit himself to this inquisition.

>>Now are you going to come up with a disarming Vironese nickname or am
I just going to introduce you as "That guy, you know, you said
`=That= guy,' remember?"?>>

I think I'm past the "that Guy" stage with Gene--I Hope so anyway! And,
forgive me, this whole nickname thing seems a bit strange to me. I'm Patrick.
Or Pat. Don't mean to be a party pooper, but I've never liked costumes or
Halloween. My own persona is deceptive enough, I hope. And I'm terrified of
getting the Vironese convention of naming wrong.

Any more plans to make Q & D official?

PS: Damon Knight's THERE ARE BIRDS is magnificent. So is Patricia Anthony's
GOD'S FIRES. Am deep into Lew Shiner's GLIMPSES--very fine.

best

Patrick

<--prev V5 next-->