From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v007.n018
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 13:12:47

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 09:54 AM 9/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>His "sadness" is probably like when you make a comment or a subtle joke
and no
>one gets it.  It's a fine line, you want people to get your jokes, but the
more
>subtle you can be and still have people get it, the more fun it is.
>
>And then some of the people you know start saying "Oh! She's being SUBTLE!"
>and proceed to find all these "hidden meanings" in everything you say.

This is more or less what I think was meant. Wolfe seemed a bit distressed
at the people who think there are infinite layers of subtle meaning piled
into his stories.

Incidentally, I think that Kathryn Locey's piece on "Seven American Nights"
is brilliant and everyone should read it, but I am biased, since I
published it.

Hi, Alice, er, alga.

--
Wombat

Kevin Maroney		kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor	New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html

<--prev V7 next-->