From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (whorl) Cordwainer Smith
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 97 19:14:00 GMT

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #2797678 from WHORL@LISTS.BEST.COM@INET01#

Rostrum,

alga is queen reader of Cordwainer Smith, so she will give you the
best pointers, but I cannot help myself from suggesting that "Alpha
Ralpha Boulevard" is his most perfect story and a great introduction
to his universe.  I believe it is widely collected, in various
anthologies such as the old ARBOR HOUSE TREASURY OF SCIENCE FICTION,
and it might even been in the one of the volumes of the old SCIENCE
FICTION HALL OF FAME.  Use an internet search engine to find a
bibliography or maybe alga knows where else you can find this story
(novella?).

(This discussion is what in the future will go into the "Wolfe-like
but not Wolfe" category.)