From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Cordwainer Smith reading order -- dissent
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:22:20

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 09:18 AM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Read "The Ballad of Lost C'mell," then "Scanners Live in Vain," then
>"The Game of Rat and Dragon."  After that, I would move on to "Alpha
>Ralpha Boulevard" and eventually "Norstrilia."

Hmm. I've read only the Smith stories that were in the Del Rey "Best of"
volume (boy, I miss those!)--I have the NESFA volume and just haven't read
it yet. I seem to be alone in liking Smith and not particularly liking "The
Ballad of Lost C'Mell", prefering (by a wide margin) "Scanners", "Rat and
Dragon", and "Alpha Ralpha".

Regardless, no one who takes sf seriously, or who likes Wolfe, should be
without first-hand knowledge of Cordwainer Smith.

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html

<--prev V7 next-->