From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Whorl Name and a theory...
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 16:53:58

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Kevin J. Maroney wrote:

> I was interested to discover Pausinas's description of altars to "the
> unknown gods" in his tourbook of 2nd-century c.e. Greece--obviously a major
> source for Wolfe.

Although I would not be surprised if Wolfe had read Pausinas, I think a
more obvious source is St. Paul in the New Testament:

  Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of
  Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked
  around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an
  altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as
  something unknown I am going to proclaim to you" (Acts 17:22-23).

-Rostrum