From: Robert Patterson <rpatterson@PROMUS.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) SPOILER for BETA-2!
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:09:24

Warning: this post is a spoiler for Samuel R. Delany: The Ballad of Beta-2

"Mantis" may be correct in that the colonists have left the ship. It has
been awhile since I read it, but as I recall the action takes place at least
in part on board the ship. The basic premise is that the generation-ship
left Earth right before the discovery of FTL travel thru hyperspace, so this
ship is the only human ship ever to have traveled across an interstellar
void in normal space.

It turns out that they had a near-disastrous encounter with some kind of (as
I recall) highly intelligent energy life form that only lives far away from
gravity wells. Humanity has never discovered it because they only travel
through normal space near stars. I'll send more specifics when I get home
and can look at the book again.

--
Robert Patterson

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rpatterson