From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n035
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:51:03

>Well, Ratty, you're wrong, I do agree. My very point was that Horn, exactly
>like Mathew (the most egregious of the gospeleers, IMO--and I will happily
>cite how), when he wasn't present at an event, made free to invent, but with
>the sincerity of love and the drive of evangelism, which is, I suppose, what
>Alex means by the Holy Spirit. That, however, doesn't quite make it fact.

Ah, but Rat & I would attribute to the Holy Spirit the result that Matthew
never actually _gets it wrong_--contradictions are only apparent, resulting
from reading things in the wrong sense.  How exactly this applies to things
like "who WAS the high priest at time X?" and such I forget at the moment and
is probably out of the list's scope, anyway.

Which is highly relevant to OBW/The Book of Silk if we (as I would assume we
all do) think Horn & Nettle writing are meant to be analogous to writing a
Gospel.  In other words, sure Horn wanted to get it right out of "love and the
drive of evangelism"--but if you take the model Wolfe's probably using, he
really DID get it right.  Which, as far as I know, just the desire doesn't
guarantee.  That's where we seem to differ.  Given Wolfe's penchant for
having "secular" things act suspiciously as if at the behest of the Outsider,
this strongly suggests Horn had help (from Mainframe or something) to
guarantee he got it right.  On the other hand, since in Long Sun the Outsider
does directly Enlighten Silk it can't be ruled out that Horn really does have
direct supernatural aid in writing the Book of Silk.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+@cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department