From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Clute's review
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:19:23

At 11:59 PM 11/3/99 -0500, La Slima wrote:

>I really like Clute's SF Encyc (haven't read the fantasy one). I think it
>insightful, impressively inclusive, well thought out, and, yes, kindly
>overall. I assume his mind-set was different, that he was writing for the
>masses, that he felt that he needed to approach his material on the most
>basic level. And I know that he admires Wolfe. But I don't think he has done
>him a service here.

	Clute does like Wolfe and has done some good work. But he's really hostile
to Wolfe's religious beliefs, as you are, O Slima, but unlike you, he seems
not to want to deal with them as they are actually found in the books.
Thus, his interpretations are often a bit askew. Clute tends to read Wolfe
in the way he wishes Wolfe would write, were he Clute!

Drooling Rat