From: mark millman <millman@us.ncipher.com>
Subject: (whorl) an observation
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:39:22

A friend of mine who doesn't subscribe to Urth or Whorl
made the following remarks, which I thought interesting,
and urged him to post.  He declined, but told me that I
might do so.

Please forgive me for posting this to both lists; but it con-
cerns the topics of both, and so I'm doing it in case there's
anyone out there who subscribes to only one.

On Tuesday 11 April 2000 at 6:15:35 pm PDT, Sean wrote:

> If you wish, you may submit the following observations
> in my stead:
>
> The sequence of long novels that Wolfe has produced
> suggests a descent from a golden age, moving from
> Severian's *Book of Gold*, to a *Book of Silk*, and
> now a *Book of Horn*.  Likewise, our protagonists
> descend in the scope of their powers, from the Conciliator
> himself to our sailor Horn, whose feet of clay extend up to
> his neck.  Of course, the sequence is not temporally linear in
> that Urth, but in our Earth that's the way things have been
> written.  Cool, eh?
>
> --Sean

Nacre/Mark Millman