From: shannon wilde <swilde_99@yahoo.com>
Subject: (whorl) just the mervrow thing
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:16:04

um, I seem to recall a reference somewhere (erudite
ones, help) of Dutch seamen taking "sea wives" for
their extended journeys of exploration and trade,
ports and tropical isles not always being convenient.
So the term "mervrow(frow, etc.) came into use as a
not-particularly pejorative term.  After all, these
weren't just casual fling type relationships, and they
served more than one vital function, deserving of
respect in their own right, plus of course the usual
status of captain's lady.  If anyone can back me up,
i'd be most grateful, but i feel pretty sure of this.
 Tottergrass