From: "Roberson, John" <RobersonJ@bek.com>
Subject: (whorl) RE: Digest whorl.v011.n027
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:10:21

	Spectacled Bear wrote:

> The Secret:
>
> The speculations here about the secret of the inhumi being to do with
> willing sacrifice are very interesting, but don't address Horn's assertion
> that it could be used to reduce the inhumi to mindless animals, not better
> but not worse than crocodiles. And how does that fit in with the general
> theme that we ought to be *nice* to them?

	My thoughts on this go as follows:

	If humans offer themselves willingly to the inhumu, who then develop
something of their soul/spirit of not harming others and being
self-sacrificing, then those inhumu will quit feeding on other humans.
Feeding from only non-sentient animals, they would lose their sentience and
revert to blood-sucking croc vermin.  While this would get rid of the inhumu
problem, it would be somewhat contrary to Incanto's ethical stance, since he
believes the inhumu spirits to be developing "souls" and to do something
that would revert them back to beasts would be "killing" their human-like
spirits.

	-Ram