From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@ungames.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v011.n029
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:23:34

At 11:29 AM 8/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I suppose Wombat will take me to task for copyright violation if I
>publically wonder if anyone could be persuaded to photocopy this story
>and pass it out to those interested.

Me? No, never. <whistles quietly and looks the other way>

>(In fact, Wombat, it's not a violation if it's for private use.)

That's not precisely true: copying is perfectly allowed for *personal*
use--i.e., if you own a work, you can make copies of it for your own use.

But this is clearly limited copying for valid purposes of scholarship. I
don't think anyone would contest that this is reasonable fair use, no
different than copying out of a library.

>If someone sent ME a copy, I would
>gladly act as a conduit just so we could all figure out what we're
>talking about here.

I'll see what I can do about getting you a copy.

--
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction