From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@ungames.com>
Subject: RE:  (whorl) Amazon has RTW cover up
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:06:07

At 03:24 PM 11/22/00 -0500, Michael wrote:
>	Although I love just about everything Wolfe writes, the prospect of a
>metafictional intrusion into/resolution of the Whorl storyline provokes
>pangs of dread.  I'm hoping this was more of a tip of the hat to Wolfe on
>the artist's part.

There's a lot of metafictive content in _Return to the Whorl_, but it's
very much in keeping with the metafictive content of the first two
volumes--that is, an awareness by the author of the work that he is writing
a work about his life, and also commentary by other hands upon that work.
Gene Wolfe doesn't appear in it (at least, not that I noticed; Robert
Borski is much better than I at spotting hidden Wolves in these works).

The character depicted on the cover of _Return_ is new to that volume, and
has not been seen (or mentioned, I believe) previously.

I don't think the illustration looks particularly like Wolfe, but in my
mental image of Wolfe, his glasses are an inseparable part of his head. And
these days, he's got a walrus mustache, so he looks even less like that
picture.

--
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction