From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: RTTW (SPOILERS)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:04:37 +0000

At 19:53 2001-02-06 -0000, Ian wrote:
>Having read the posts, I also have a couple more pennies-worth of my own to
>stick in:
>From Nacre's post:
>"I would never have used it while
>> Nettle was alive", confused me, Jahlee
>> didn't kill Nettle, did she?  Didn't
>> Nettle go with Silk and Marble?
>I checked back, and it's the method of communicating with the Mother which
>the narrator "would never have used while Nettle was alive".  At the time of
>reading I presumed he was speaking in the past tense because he was
>convinced he was about to die (or at least 'cease to exist') and so would
>never get to use it.  However, presumably Silk subsequently did, as Seawrack
>then appears pretty quickly afterward.

Yes - it's definitely Horn speaking at the time, and he never does use it.
It's Silk who does that. I don't know exactly what happens to Horn when
Silk recovers himself, but it's pretty terminal: he anticipates Remora's
return as that of an executioner, and Silk talks to Daisy about having
more or less killed Hoof and Hide's father.

Spectacled Bear.

MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. For further information visit