From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: RTTW (SPOILERS)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:04:37 +0000

At 19:53 2001-02-06 -0000, Ian wrote:
>Having read the posts, I also have a couple more pennies-worth of my own to
>stick in:
>
>From Nacre's post:
>
>"I would never have used it while
>> Nettle was alive", confused me, Jahlee
>> didn't kill Nettle, did she?  Didn't
>> Nettle go with Silk and Marble?
>I checked back, and it's the method of communicating with the Mother which
>the narrator "would never have used while Nettle was alive".  At the time of
>reading I presumed he was speaking in the past tense because he was
>convinced he was about to die (or at least 'cease to exist') and so would
>never get to use it.  However, presumably Silk subsequently did, as Seawrack
>then appears pretty quickly afterward.

Yes - it's definitely Horn speaking at the time, and he never does use it.
It's Silk who does that. I don't know exactly what happens to Horn when
Silk recovers himself, but it's pretty terminal: he anticipates Remora's
return as that of an executioner, and Silk talks to Daisy about having
more or less killed Hoof and Hide's father.

Spectacled Bear.