From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) RTTW spoilers, structure of TBOTSS
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:54:51

on 2/15/01 1:50 PM, Michael Andre-Driussi at mantis@sirius.com wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>> As for the distinction between Silk and litSilk, it's true we don't know the
>> "real Silk," only litSilk.  But we also know the litHorn of the trip to
>> Pajarocu.  And the "Horn" of the Whorl resembles litSilk much more closely
>> than litHorn.
>
> If you had written "litHorn of TBOTLS is the literary creation of the
> narrator Horn; litHorn, of TBOTSS, is a literary creation of the narrator
> `N'" then I'd know we were on the same page.  As it is, I sense continuing
> Time Frame problems.

True; but this is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make, which is
that the representation of the "Horn" of the Whorl resembles any
representation of Silk, or of the Silkified "Horn" of Gaon and after, more
closely than it resembles any representation of Horn before he was put into
Silk's body.  Actually, my memory of TBOTLS isn't that great, so I'm really
going by the representations of Horn and the Silkified "Horn" in TBOTSS.

> Remember: just as our sense of Silk in TBOTLS is created by the writing of
> Horn, so our sense of all the Horns in TBOTSS is created by the writing of
> "N."

It's not quite the same, because there are three different narrators who
portray "Horn" in TBOTSS: the Rajan, the group narration by the editors, and
Hoof (I'm not counting Daisy, since Horn is gone by then).  But I'm not
aware of any differences between their portrayals of the "Horn" who's in
Silk's body.  This actually could support your basic theory, if not your
details: you could argue that since the editors only saw Horn-in-Silk after
he'd been reinfused with Silk, they projected that personality onto the
Horn-in-Silk of the Whorl.  But I would still disagree, mainly because there
are other reasons (which I've stated) for believing that Silk was present in
the "Horn" of the Whorl.

--Adam