From: Dan Parmenter <dan@lec.com>
Subject: (whorl) requiem for a mermaid
Date: 26 Feb 2001 10:52:44

From: "Robert Borski" <rborski@charter.net>

> Seawrack is driven from her underwater home by the Mother ("Time to
> leave the nest, darling"), has an arm immediately amputated, is then
> sexually assaulted by the surface-dweller she's been given over to

I don't have OBW in front of me right now, but doesn't Seawrack claim
at one point that Horn has in fact been turned over to *her*?

BTW, speaking of mermaids what's up with "Merfrow" Cijfer anyway?
According to one online Dutch-English dictionary her name translates
to:

  1. cipher, digit, figure, numeral
  2. code, secret code

And Wijzer's name means "needle", perhaps as in a compass needle,
seems like a good name for a captain.

Shellac (coming into the home stretch on my second reading of BotSS,
having just completed my third reading of BotLS, 2,650 pages in my
editions)