From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Heresy
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:16:50 +0000

At 00:38 2001-02-28 -0500, William Ansley wrote:
>So, we're too darn smart for our own good, are we? Maybe.
>
>But, I think the very smart, scholarly and fertile brain of Gene
>Wolfe is as much responsible for the lack of straightforward
>interpretation of his works as our collective brilliance.
>
>I would like to see a straightforward interpretation of any of Gene
>Wolfe's novel or novella length works, or even some of his short
>stories. (Well, perhaps there are a few...)

I think we sorted out a straightforward interpretation of "Kevin Malone"
when we discussed that. That is *very* short, admittedly. How about
_Pandora by Holly Hollander_? Although there's always the worry that the
person who wrote the blurb on the back knew more about it than I do (not
a foregone conclusion either way!) and that it is more than a simple
detective story. So perhaps you're right. But I still think that we do
often read more into things than is actually there. Pike's ghost, for
instance.

>But, Mr. Bear, you did come up with the perfect Wolfe quote to
>illustrate your point. Bravo!

Thank you! I've been saving it :-)

Spectacled Bear.