From: "Robert Borski" <rborski@charter.net>
Subject: (whorl) Mother Godspeak
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:39:35

Adam S., in a non-confused mode, professing:

<I may be missing something again, but I don't see the problem here. The
Mother is a goddess of the Neighbors; why wouldn't she have been able to
learn their language and teach it to Seawrack? And Seawrack could have
taught Horn enough to translate the few lines he does (there's no need to
assume it's an impromptu translation; he could have heard the same song in
the boat with Seawrack).>

How then do you reconcile this with Horn stating, "I asked the Greater
Scylla on the Red Sun Whorl how I could find Seawrack again. She told me how
to communicate with her sister here."

In other words, if I understand you properly, Horn has to go all the way
back to Urth and find out from the "Greater" Scylla how to communicate with
her "sister," the Mother? So the Greater Scylla can speak Neighborese? Where
the hell did _she_ learn it? The Berlitz Teach-Yourself-Neighbor in 10 Days
or Less? (I tried ordering a copy from Amazon.com, but they're currently
out.)

Sorry, but I still don't understand how the Mother, Silk or Seawrack
comprehends the language of the Vanished People.

Robert Borski