From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@ungames.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Inhumechanics
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:26:20

At 10:43 AM 3/28/01 -0500, Shellac wrote:
>We hear on numerous occasions of reshaping facial features and
>the wearing of powders and wigs, but I never assumed that they were
>just flying silly-putty with a head.  There's also the seeming
>"telepathic" component.  Wasn't it Borski who thought that this may
>well be their primary mode of "shape-shifting".

I actually think I was the original advocate of the "inhumi as projective
telepaths" theory, but I could be wrong on both counts.

It's clear that the inhumi do physically deform to resemble the things they
want to resemble, but there are also some textual hints that they make
their prey see them as they want to see them. (I wonder if they can only do
this to one target species at a time. This would explain why animals can
detect them when they're posing as humans.)

--
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction