From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) tincture of Pas
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:01:14

On 3 Apr 2001, Dan Parmenter wrote:

> Rostrum writes:
>
> > The passage you quote makes me want to reconsider mantis's theory that the
> > Narrator got a download of the god version of Silk at some point (At the
> > West Pole?  Via Pig?  During the sacrifice at the manteion?  Talking to
> > the monitor on the lander going back to Blue?).  But then we have to start
> > thinking about the Narrator as an alloy of multiple versions of Silk (Free
> > Live Free?), as well as Horn, Typhon, and who knows who else.
>
> That seems par for the course, with the precedent of Severian, even if
> as you point out earlier, it's not quite the same.

Too late!  I recant.  I'm convinced that vizcacha's interpretation is
correct: Incanto means that since "Pas" now refers to Pas+Silk that "Pas"
is present because Silk is present (I guess this is sufficiently eliptical
that Incanto can say "Pas is here, in a sense" without admiting to himself
that he is Silk).  So I go back to my original assertion there is no
evidence that Pas or the Silkgod or Pigsilk have been downloaded into
Silk's body.  The narrator is just human Silk + Horn's spirit.

-Rostrum