From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) Dante Thoughts
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:21:32

At 03:26 PM 4/12/2001 -0700, Dan'l wrote:
> >          The logical candidate for Virgil is Oreb,
>
>Actually, I think either Krait or (most likely) Sinew, both of whom
>accompany the Narr -- oh, Hell, _that_ at least is definitely all Horn
>-- to Green and are left behind there in various ways. (Yeah, okay, I
>know... Vergil is left behind at the Purgatorio-Paradiso transition,
>not the Inferno-Purgatorio transition...)

         Hmmm. I'd see those two boys as anticipations of Hoof and Hide,
and fitting more with the Odyssey theme, Odysseus meeting his son toward
the end of his journey paralleling the Narrator's meeting Hoof and Hide
toward the end of his. I'd still plug Oreb, for now....

>Actually, I've been puzzling over the "three beasts" of the opening of
>Inferno; that's the sort of thing Wolfe would almost certainly parallel
>in some way.

         Krait, Seawrack, and Babbie? Probably not.

> > The rest of Blue would be Limbus Patrum, Green would be Inferno proper,
> > and Whorl would be Purgatorio.
>
>Do you mean the worlds or the books?

         I meant the rest of OBW, after the fall into the pit. Sorry.

> > The real-life Beatrice, for those who may not know, was a young girl
> > that Dante fell in love with, though he and she were married.
>
>Key word missing here: "...were NOT married." Clearly JJ knows this
>and this was a typo (or brainfart or whatever).

         Duh. Mea maxima culpa.

Nutricious