From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) The Secret: a new theory
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:17:50

At 11:50 AM 4/20/2001 +0100, Nick G. wrote:

>The resolution to the problem, I now argue, is another
>much-questioned feature of TBSS's plot: astral travel.
>Why can Horn travel astrally when in the company of an
>inhumu? Surely because the Neighbors bestowed a
>strictly passive astral travel capability on the
>inhumi ...

         If this attractive theory be correct, it seems to me that it
should connect to the question of how the inhumi travel from Green to Blue.
Since they can't tolerate cold, we know that the inhumi don't fly from
Green to Blue. But perhaps they employ this astral travel ability to do so.
Of course, it would be a different kind of use of the ability, since they
don't leave their bodies behind. At the same time, astral travellers seem
to have some kind of physical body with them, even though their ur-body is
asleep back home. Astral travel with inhumi lies between full teleportation
on the one hand and mere spirit-travel on the other. I think that's a clew.
I think the inhumi are capable of teleportation.
         "We get our intelligence from you." Hmmm. Try this out:
Animal-inhumi are just tools for astral travel. But when an inhumi gets
Neighbor or human blood, then both of the necessary factors are present
INSIDE him/her: inhumi astral ability + human intelligence. In that case,
Smart-inhumi do not need another human to travel astrally, and perhaps the
super-close connection of human blood and inhumi genes enables the
Smart-inhumi to teleport, not just travel astrally. (That is, a mixture of
human blood and inhumi genes is stronger then a human holding hands with an
inhumu/a.)
         It seems you cannot go anywhere that nobody in the group has ever
been to. But if only one smart-inhumu/a makes the trip, then others can
make the trip with him/her, and that will expand until millions are making
the trip.
         Since this hypothetical ability is linked to conjunction, it would
seem that they can teleport between Green and Blue when the two are close
to each other. It appears that distance plays a part in the ability of
Smart-inhumi to teleport -- an SF aspect of this seemingly fantasy element.
         Travelling greater distances would not be possible by
teleportation, but only by astral travel. Also, travelling with a human
must be astral and not teleportation, since the human lacks the inhumi
ability. That is, when you add a teleporting inhumi with a wholly
non-teleporting human, you get something in between.
         If I'm right, then the precise ability of the inhumi is not astral
travel but teleportation. The Neighbors gave Animal-inhumi the ability to
teleport, but no ability to use it. Standing with a Neighbor, who cannot
teleport, the inhumi can enable astral travel but not full teleportation.
It enables the Neighbor to "phone home" or phone anywhere else he has ever
been. Aha! But inhumi are vampires and when one generation of Animal-inhumi
get some Neighbor blood, the next generation turns out to be Smart-inhumi.
Smart-inhumi can use their ability to teleport. One S-I can get with
another S-I and go wherever that second S-I has ever been, and not just by
astral travel: the two can teleport there.
         Well, one speculation calls for another. So, Gevers, does this
advance your theory, or it is poppycock?

JBJordan