From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) About the secret of the inhumi, again (RTTW
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:29:42 +0100

At 15:49 2001-04-20, Adam Stephanides wrote:
>on 4/19/01 1:52 PM, Kevin J. Maroney at kmaroney@ungames.com wrote:
>
>> In _Return to the Whorl_, Jahlee tells Nettle a secret about the inhumi,
>> which, because of the structure of the story, we are led to believe is
>> *the* secret which has been sketched out in the first two volumes. The only
>> detail new to her revelation is that it is the children of the inhumi who
>> gain intelligence from the blood rather than the predators themselves.
>>
>> A. Am I correct that this detail was not present in any of the earlier open
>> discussions of the secret?
>
>I believe so.  I don't recall it, in any case (though iirc a couple of
>passages can be seen in retrospect to hint at it); nor do I recall any of
>our discussions of the secret mentioning it.

That detail wasn't mentioned directly in the text, I'm sure, but we
did discuss it here. Have a look around August 2000 in the archives.
Adam, you drew attention there to the Neighbour who takes Horn to the
sewer saying that the Neighbours wanted to wake humans up, not to their
danger but to their safety. Horn only understands this after Krait tells
him the Secret, though it doesn't appear that the Neighbour is talking
about that directly, but about some other implication of the sewer. No
idea what, though.

Peter.